Teacher Externships offer a unique professional development opportunity connecting the classroom to the workplace. Teachers learn how classroom content and learning strategies are applied in the workplace. With first-hand exposure, teachers can design and implement classroom activities, projects, and work-based learning opportunities, adding relevance and meaning to classroom learning.
The South Plains Teacher Externship experience will provide teachers with three full working days ONSITE in a Lubbock or South Plains area local business in the Summer of 2019. During this program, businesses will provide teachers with hands-on working experience and opportunities to observe several different aspects of business techniques and processes.
Teachers will gain real-world perspective and application connected to the skills they are teaching in course-specific areas. Teachers (Middle and High School) will be selected through an application process. Although there is limited funding for teachers to participate, all teachers interested in the program are encouraged to apply for an externship. Priority will be given to career and technical education teachers but based on the level of interest, further opportunities may be available with help from community partners.
- $500 stipend at the end of the 3-day externship with a business (Payroll taxes are deducted)
- Additional $100 stipend once the lesson plan is submitted
- Additional $100 stipend if teacher travels over 50 miles to get to and from the business
- Possible Professional Development Credit – refer to individual district requirements.
- Invaluable experience and business connections
- APPLICATION: Teachers are asked to identify what they hope to gain from this experience and explain how it will impact the educational outcomes of students.
- ATTENDANCE: Employers will certify teacher attendance and fulfillment of expectations.
- LESSON PLAN: Teachers will submit and implement a lesson plan using what they learned.
- PRESENTATION PLAN: Teachers will identify a plan to present their experience to other teachers. (PLC, Innovation Summit, Conference, etc.)
- POST- EXTERNSHIP SURVEY: Teachers will complete a survey associated with the experience.
- Thursday, March 21st – Application Deadline: www.workforcesouthplains.org/externship
- Wednesday, May 15th – Notification of Acceptance & Employer Placement
- Wednesday, May 29th – Onsite Orientation at Region 17 and all required paperwork is due
- Thursday, July 25th – Lesson Plans due at a half-day debrief session at Region 17 ESC
*All stipends will be paid through your school district after July 25th, 2019
In partnership with: Lubbock Economic Development Alliance, Workforce Solutions South Plains, Lubbock ISD, Lubbock Cooper ISD, Frenship ISD, Roosevelt ISD, Region 17 ESC, Texas Workforce Commission